Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Around

Still technically around. I got soooo swept up in my EMT class that I completely forgot to keep posting! I was constantly exhausted.

I finished the class with an A. I haven't taken my NREMT because... frankly I keep forgetting to get my fingerprints. Cough. I need it soon, however, because I have to get started on the next clinicals. Why's that? Because I chose to start my EMT-I!

I finished my IV class last night which was very painful. See, in an IV class, you have to GIVE two successful IVs and take them.

I was the only one in the class who managed to stick two IVs without any redos, so my partner only got two sticks. Me, I got three. The first one went through the vein out the other side and WOW does that hurt! The second went in and she got it going and all was well, and then she accidentally turned it back on (he had turned it off and she didn't realize it) while DCing and bumped it and the damn thing infiltrated. Which sort of felt like a rush of cold water being thrown on my arm. It was weeeird. Also, hurt hurt hurt. The third one was someone else who had just stuck his partner for the fourth time and didn't get it in, and I felt bad for her so I let him stick me and he dug around for five minutes before giving up. Ow. Ow ow ow.

I have no bruising. Joy. Just three huge holes because I'm a tiny person and an 18g needle is freaking gigantic.

I took pictures of my two successful IVs, I will post them for my own amusement at some point.

I really love EMT.

During my clinicals I got to deal with a broken pelvis, which was fascinating. I got a broken wrist which was moreso "shattered" and woooow was it broken visibly. A Schitzophrenic off her meds who kept talking about someone who we're pretty sure didn't exist. A guy with a BAC of .412 who had to be arrested 'cause he had a restraining order and he isn't allowed to drink (it's a clause in restraining orders now, weird huh?). We had a cluster migraine who was basically incapacitated; we thought she had a stroke at first but it turns out she was just having a really bad migraine. After some meds she was able to sit up and talk which was good.

I only actually RODE the ambulance twice. Woe. =( Once for a little boy who'd taken a fall from a cart at Walmart (he was fine), and once for an older woman with AMS who I still don't know what was wrong with (who BIT ME).

And...that's it.

Off to take my first EMT-I test.

No comments:

Post a Comment